le book review number seventy-three~ looking for jj

Thursday 7 February 2013

| | |
title: looking for jj
author: anne cassidy
series/standalone: standalone
personal star rating: 3.5/5 stars

from the back cover:
Three children walked away from the cottages on the edge of the town  toward the Berwick Waters. Later that day only two of them came back.

Alice Tully knows exactly what happened that spring day six years ago - though it's still hard for her to believe it's real. The images, the sounds and the aftermath are imprinted on her memory. Now she's trying to lead a normal life - she has a job, friends and a boyfriend whom she adores. She's making a go of things, putting her past behind her at last. But Alice's past is dangerous, and violent  and sad - and it's about to rip her new life apart.

first sentence:
"Everyone was looking for Jennifer Jones."

thoughts on the front cover:
The reason I chose this book was because of the cover. I found the paper people chain was intriguing and the fade of blue and font of the title was so perfect. It is one of the more unique covers i've seen and it definitely was the drawing factor.

review:
Looking for jj has a great premise. I was really excited when i saw this in the library a long time ago. The cover picture stuck with me and the title was similar to one of my favourite books that I really thought I'd love this book. The idea for this book is original and captivating. It is unlike other books I've read but i do see similarities to other books i've heard about and plan on reading eventually. Although the idea was different, the main character did not seem real. I separate Jennifer from Alice, Jennifer being the "before" and Alice being the "after". At first, i really didn't like Alice. As we learn her story i began to understand her but overall, she doesn't show a lot of personality. I could picture Jennifer as a kid with her mom, but "Alice" felt like she never knew who she wanted to be. She wanted to be forgotten in the book, and she will be forgotten for me as well. Jennifer was much more memorable and the flashback story was the real captivation. The other characters were interesting enough, but there seemed a lack of relationship between characters. I think that as the book was told, it could have flowed a bit better. The memories seemed a bit discordant to how the events in "real time" were being exposed. At times they felt thrown in. I did enjoy this book but I don't think i'd care to read it again. I think I took away all that I will from this book. I'd recommend it for a bit of a thrill/ suspense/ excitement but there was a lot of sub-layers that didn't really work. Don't expect too much of this book but it is interesting and has a great premise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment