le book review number ten~ white cat

Wednesday 11 January 2012

| | |
Title: White Cat
Author: Holly Black
Stars: 5/5

I really loved reading this book. Cassel, a beautiful name, combined with other gorgeous names made this a stunning read. When I first saw the book at the library, i looked to the back cover. My first thought was the two guys on the back would make a perfect couple and I really, desperately, became obsessed that something along those lines would happen. Unfortunately, nothing came of it.

However, what did come of it was something I really loved.

The characters are splendidly believable and Cassel (protagonist) has a voice of many teenage gentlemen in a very traditional, authority figure household. I like how I could relate even though I'm a girl. I found the story to be captivating; the thought of gloves being so involved to prevent the possibility of having gifts and powers used against you gave the plot many twists and turns that although they didn't surprise me as much as I would have liked, they just fit perfectly. I loved the writing style and description.

I wasn't as fond of the girl characters. I think through the eyes of Cassel, they were exactly what I would expect, but as characters, I didn't love them as much as Philip and Barron.

The vocabulary was beautiful, characters were beautiful, Cassel's mind was beautiful and I am definitely going to read the second book.

Yes, I'd recommend it.

2 comments:

Shadow Lawliet said...

Okay, I'm adding this book to my reading list. XD I'm interested to experience the beautiful vocabulary and characters for myself.

Becca said...

I definitely recommend it, especially to you. I haven't read any other books by her (i think she has more children based stories previously, but i could be wrong) so i do really like the transition to more young adult novels. Cassel is beautiful. She has amazing characters. It always makes me happy to read a book where the plot is both interesting and unique and the characters take on such realness. It's sort of a darker book, but I think you'll enjoy it very much.

Post a Comment