le book review number eighty-one~ storm thief

Thursday 18 April 2013

| | |
Author: Chris Wooding
Standalone
Paperback
Pages: 310
Publisher: Scholastic
Personal Star Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Description:
"Rail and Moa are thieves in a city of chaos. For as long as anyone can remember, Orokos has been lashed by probability storms - violent tempests that change whatever they touch. When a probability storm hits, streets are rearranged, children are turned to glass, rivers break from their banks, and life suddenly becomes death. Nothing is stable. Everyone is vulnerable.
Rail has struggled with the effects of one such storm for years; when he was hit, he lost the ability to breathe freely. Moa has also seen her share of struggle - as the daughter of dead rebels, as an outcast, as a criminal. Now they have uncovered their first taste of fortune: a strange artifact wanted by the most powerful people in the city. As with most fortunes, this one comes with a price.
They mysterious object is a gift to any thief. But could it be more? Rail and Moa will have to run, fight, double-cross, steal, and dodge the storms in order to find out . . . and unlock Orokos's deepest, most dangerous secrets."

First Sentence:
"The seabird slid through the black sky beneath the blanket of cloud, its feathers ruffling fitfully as it was buffeted by the changing winds."

Cover Comments:
I like the cover, although it isn't my favourite cover in the world.

Title Thoughts:
I have a soft spot for books with the word thief in the title. The Book Thief and The Thief Lord are two books that I enjoyed immensely. Therefore, when this book was recommended to me, I was anticipating great things.

Review:
I've been meaning to read this book for a couple years. I finally got around to reading it and I was not disappointed. I began reading it and after a couple days had only managed about 30 pages. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get through it. I restarted and after getting acquired to such rich, thick description and vocabulary, I was greatly surprised. The characters had real qualities although they felt somewhat contrived and stereotypical at times. Every note I wrote during reading was talking about the description and detail. Although not abundantly filled with unnecessary words, it created very interesting and intriguing imagery. I was very impressed with the quality of vocabulary as well. The plot was a bit difficult at first to comprehend but it was very unique from other books that I've read. I can generalize the theme and criticize it in a flat, boring way, but it had quite a bit of information and the pace picked up really quickly. Perhaps a little too quickly in certain parts. I expected a few twists and turns involved with the story, but overall, it was a really good read and deserves 4.5 stars. I probably wouldn't read this book again. There is no specific reason why not, it was, after all very enjoyable, but I couldn't see myself getting anything extra out of it.

Also, check out the memorable moments from this novel: http://lebookreview.blogspot.ca/2013/04/memorable-moments-number-twelve-storm.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment