le book review number eighty~ the westing game

Sunday 7 April 2013

| | |
Title: The Westing Game
Author: Ellen Raskin
Standalone
Paperback
Pages: 216
Publisher: Scholastic (April 12th, 2004 edition)
Year published: First Published 1978
Personal star rating: 5/5 stars

Description From the Back Cover:
A bizarre chain of events begins when sixteen unlikely people gather for the reading of Samuel W. Westing's will. And though no one knows why the eccentric, game-loving millionaire has chosen a virtual stranger - and a possible murderer - to inherit his vast fortune, one thing's for sure: Sam Westing may be dead . . . but that won't stop him from playing one last game!

First Sentence:
"The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east."

Cover Comments:
I like the cover, although it doesn't stand out just sitting on a shelf. However, it's subtlety is what is most drawing about it because it is a mystery after all. It is quiet and has relevance to the story in it's intrigue.

Title Thoughts:
I love the title. It's really simple, yet mysterious. It's catching and memorable.

Review:
Overview of Thoughts:
I really loved reading this book. It had clues, it had interesting people, it had really cool things. It took me longer to read than I had expected, but found it was definitely worthwhile taking my time with it.

Characters:
There are 16 characters that are trying to be described in a couple hundred pages. Each one could have had more development, but that might have given the problem-solver in me too many details to solve it partway through and I would have been disappointed if I had guessed the ending. I definitely think reading this at an earlier age would make me less critical. However, the characters had qualities that were interesting and made them like real people with real stories. And in all books, there were characters I liked more than others.

Plot:
The plot was very interesting and intriguing. I'm always up for a mystery, especially one that leaves me guessing until the end.

Conclusion:
Read this book. Simple as that. I liked it and I would read it again.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

This book sounds very interesting. I think that I will have to read it.

Becca said...

It was very intriguing. It's definitely one to check out (: Thank you for commenting, it means a lot.

Post a Comment