le book review number seventy-nine~ Empty

Sunday 24 March 2013

| | |
Title: Empty
Author: Suzanne Weyn
Standalone
Hardcover
Pages: 183 pages
Personal Star Rating: 4/5 stars

From the Inside Cover:
Civilization has just run out.
It's the future - the very near future - and the fossil fuels are running out. No gas. No oil. Which means no driving. No heat. Supermarkets are empty. Malls have shut down. Life has just become more local than we ever knew it could be.
Nobody has expected the end to come this fast. And in the small town of Sage Valley, decisions that once seemed easy are quickly becoming matters of life and death. There is hope - there has to be hope - but there are also sacrifices that need to be made, and a society that needs to be rethought. Niki, Tom, and Gwen may find what they need to survive. But their lives are never going to be the same again.

Cover Comments:
I think the cover is very intriguing. It was definitely a factor in why I wanted to read it. I love the colours and texture and the font used was really perfect.

Title Thoughts:
The title is fitting, relevant and simple but impacting.

First Sentence:
"Gwen Jones squeezed out of her bedroom window onto the sizzling roof below."

Review:
Overview/Summary of my thoughts:
Empty. In a way the title describes the book. The switching points of view made the character development seem reliant on the other characters thoughts about the person and the actions the other characters see than the actual person's thoughts. The story seems like the relevancy was in a way limited in terms of how the media was so focused on global warming and the depletion of oil a couple years ago but now the attention in mainstream media is less involved with that aspect. The characters were somewhat stereotyped. I liked the idea of the book but it seemed like the information was forced. The articles in newspaper format gave information in a different, but not well done way. I was anticipating that I would like this book but overall I wasn't too impressed or blown away.

Characters:
Gwen is interesting and different, but she isn't as unique as I would have hoped.
Tom has some aspects that are confusing at times, almost like he never really knows what he wants.
Niki is very stereotyped and doesn't ever fully escape being annoying.

Conclusions:
It was worth reading once but I wouldn't recommend buying it. My sister bought this book a couple years ago so it was something that I would have enjoyed a couple years ago more than I liked it now.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

the book review was quite well done. Just to comment on what you said about the media being more focused on global warming and the depletion of oil is partly because that was before the global economy went really bad and as some people know the governments only worry about the environment when they don't have the economy to worry about. In the eyes of the media the environment takes a backseat to the economy. I thought that this review was good. I read this book a couple of years ago and agree with you in that it was more relevant or at least more prominent in society a couple of years ago but needs to be more prominent again.

Becca said...

Thank you for commenting :) I agree, the media focuses on what "worries most people at the time" which right now isn't exactly the environment. Thank you so much for what you said. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to feel this way about the book.

Post a Comment