le book review number seventy-eight~ Firegirl

Monday 18 March 2013

| | |
Title: Firegirl
Author: Tony Abbott
Series: Standalone
Pages: 145
Personal Star Rating: 4.4/5 stars

Cover Comments:
I think the cover is reflective of the book. I like the paper chain of people - it's something that I've always found really cool. The colours are very fitting.

From the back cover:
"There is. . .," Mrs. Tracy was saying quietly, "there is something you need to know about Jessica. . . ."
From this moment on, life is never quite the same for Tom and his seventh-grade classmates. Despite Jessica's shocking appearance and the fear she evokes in him and most of the class, Tom slowly develops a tentative friendship with Jessica that changes his life. Firegirl is a powerful book that shows readers that even the smallest of gestures can have a profound impact on someone's life.

Title Thoughts:
I like the title. It's simple, yet impacting. Relates to the story.

Review:
I really enjoyed this book. I bought it a few weeks ago and wasn't sure if it would be worth it, but once I started reading it during my lunch break at work, it was very captivating and I didn't want to put it down.
Realism was so prevalent in this book. It was aimed at a younger audience so it didn't take me long to finish but I think that people of all ages should read this book. Maybe they will realize that people who are "different" are still human and that bullying (even if it's not blatantly obvious) still hurts and affects people. The protagonist, Tom had the right mindset for his character age. I found Tom to have a lot of untouched personality that could have had a little more development and description. I also found it to be lacking a little in detail - the only two reasons this book didn't receive a five. I'm not sure if I will read this book again, but it will sit happily on my bookshelf waiting when I need a new perspective. I'll be passing it around (especially to my sister) to read this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment