le book review number seventy-five~ where children run

Sunday 3 March 2013

| | |
title: where children run
author: karen emilson
personal star rating: 5/5 stars

from the back cover:
The true story of David and Dennis Pischke and how they survived more than a decade of starvation and abuse at the hands of their mentally unstable stepfather.

A frightening, heartwarming, and sometimes humorous account of the strength and adaptability of the human spirit.

first sentence:
"Quietly, Caroline slipped out of the house."

review:
This is a nonfiction book that we were required to read in my English class. I had never heard of this book and wasn't sure what to expect since nonfiction isn't a genre that I often read. However, I found myself drawn into this novel and the story. The two boys, David and Dennis, endure such hardships that at times I found it difficult to bear. The children were treated so unfairly and Domko was so cruel. I found it hard to feel sorry for Caroline after the way she treated her children. With all the abuse from Domko, she didn't have to make them feel it was their fault. Overall, this book was really sad, but also made me angry. I think it was a really good book to expose people to the nonfiction genre and also the story  of the Pischke children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment