le book review number eighty-seven~ fat angie

Wednesday 29 May 2013

| | |
Title: Fat Angie
Author: e.e. Charlton-Trujillo
Standalone
Hardcover
Pages: 264
Year Published: 2013
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Personal Star Rating: 3.5 stars

Description:
Angie is the only one in her family - maybe the only one in the world - who believes her captured war-hero sister is still alive. Angie needs to believe it. It's better than thinking about last year, when she tried to kill herself in front of a packed gym. Better than trying to steer clear of Stacy Ann Sloan and her posse of ultra-mean girls. Better than dealing with her corporate lawyer mother, who wants to know only one thing: When is Angie going to lose exactly twenty-nine pounds?
Then a new girl, KC, arrives in Dryfalls, Ohio. She's beautiful, hip, and smart, and everyone wants to know her. From the minute they meet, KC sees the real Angie, not the fat girl hiding from her pain under a mountain of junk food. She sees Angie for who she really is: someone who just might shake things up - on the basketball court and in KC's life. Outrageous and touching, this darkly comic, anti-romantic romance brings us unforgettable characters on the edge.

Cover Comments:
Very bright blue it stands out. I think it was vibrant that's why i picked it up.

Title Thoughts:
Very unique title and deprecating. I think because of it's negative connotation I decided to see what exactly was being said.

Review:
I found this book to be alright. However, I don't feel like I completely know Angie after reading it. She seemed confused about her feelings and I think all teenagers can relate to that. I found the pop culture references might make the book a bit outdated in some ways within a few years. I liked that it was told in a perspective unlike any that I've read before and in some instances within the book I could understand Angie and KC and their friendship was a very integral part of the plot and she became a very important part of Angie's life. I think Angie always wanted to do better for KC and make her proud and this was very motivating for Angie to achieve her goals. I probably wouldn't read this book again but for what it was worth, it was overall pretty good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment