le book review number one~ Looking for Alaska

Tuesday 6 September 2011

| | |

Book title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
My personal star rating: 5/5 stars
I read this book only once, but it is one of my favourites. I classify this phenomenal novel as one of my “life changers” because of the new perspective it gave me about how I see things. This was recommended to me from and I am really thankful to have read it because as soon as I started reading the first page, I knew it was going to be amazing. I read it in one sitting – I just couldn’t put it down.
A summary of the novel is that a teenage boy, Miles Halter, who has a fascination with last words goes to a boarding school inAlabama. To explain why he wanted to leave hisFloridahome, he quotes Francois Rabelais’s last words, “I go to seek a great perhaps”. Once he arrives at the school, he quickly gets the nickname Pudge from his roommate, “The Colonel” who uses it humorously because Miles is a thin person.  ”The Colonel” introduces him to a girl named Alaska Young who is very interesting to Miles.
Various other reasons why I really like this book:
I really love this book because the characters become real. On a personal level you can relate to the characters and become absorbed in the story. The unique factor of combining last words in a young adult novel gives the reader an unusual, but significant and meaningful feel overall. I thought the vocabulary and writing style were beautifully incorporated for this stunning and shocking novel. Although I felt the surprise of it didn’t take me aback as much as I anticipated it would, I still feel that book is amazing.
Would I recommend this book? Yes. I would caution some people depending on their personal values and ethics because it talks about some things that some people don’t find appropriate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment