le book review number two~ Delirium

Tuesday 6 September 2011

| | |

Book title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Personal star rating: 2/5 stars
Delirium is a love story in a story without love to put it simply.
I found it to be boring and easy to read in a vocabulary sense. The basis of the story to be more captivating than the story itself for me. It was very predictable, and the main character, Lena, wasn’t as complex as the sub characters. I found I could relate more to her best friend Hana and would have liked Lena to be written in a more connecting way.
The character Alex was viewed through Lena’s ‘love-struck’ eyes, so it seemed I’d never get a clear idea who he was. We are told about him, and learn about him and how he was raised, but he seemed distorted with Lena’s feelings. I thought this was integral, due to the main story line of how love needs to be eradicated and how it messes you up. Lean showcased this part of the story.
It seemed to be similar in aspects to the Uglies series, in the idea that there are ‘outsiders’ who don’t go through a process that effects the brain. In that series I also found I liked the sub characters more than the main character itself.
I found my favourite part to be the Periodic Table rhymes. That in itself earns it one star. The second star is earned because of Lena’s mother. Her presence in the book was so central in how Lena thinks and feels about the process that she must go through.
I wouldn’t recommend this book. If you are looking for a quick, easy read and something you don’t need to focus on, this would be a good read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment