le book review number one hundred twenty-two~ That Was Then, This is Now

Sunday 19 June 2016

| | |
33569Title: That Was Then, This Is Now
Author: S.E. Hinton
Standalone
Paperback
Pages: 159
Year First Published: 1971
Publisher: Speak
Personal Star Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Description:
Does growing up have to mean growing apart?

Since childhood, Bryon and Mark have been as close as brothers. Now things are changing. Bryon's growing up, spending a lot of time with girls, and thinking seriously about who he wants to be. Mark still just lives for the thrill of the moment. The two are growing apart - until Bryon makes a shocking discovery about Mark. Then Bryon faces a terrible decision - one that will change both of their lives forever.

Cover Comments:
I really like this cover. I enjoy how dark it is, and also, that it matches with the copy of The Outsiders that I have.

Title Thoughts:
I think the title is very fitting for the story, and shows the transition through a Liminal Space that adolescence encompasses.

Review:
The Outsiders was one of my favourite books that I have read, and I was so excited when I bought this book years ago when I found out that Hinton had written other books. Although I wasn't as thrilled about the ending when reading this, and perhaps I was more cynical of the choices the characters made that I may not have been as critical if I had read this when I was younger. However, I am glad that I waited to read this until I had more experience and had already been through adolescence. I think that the characters were well written, although I would have liked to understand Mark more. He seems to have a lot of depth of character and that we also didn't get to know Bryon independently of the influence that others had on him. However, it portrayed an honest story of teenagers that shows how rough it can be to grow up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment