le book review number one hundred twenty-six~ Before I Fall

Sunday 26 June 2016

| | |
6482837Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Standalone
Hardcover
Pages: 470
Genre: Y.A. contemporary fiction, paranormal/fantasy
Year First Published: 2010
Publisher of edition I read: Harper
Personal Star Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Description:
Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around in it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know.

First Line:
"They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.

Cover Comments:
The cover is beautiful, but not necessarily something I would have picked up if I was browsing bookshelves.

Title Thoughts:
The title can have a double meaning if you interpret it that way.

Review:
I knew from first reading the prologue that this book would destroy me. I wasn't wrong. I was given this book as a present years ago, and I was hesitant to read it because I didn't like Lauren Oliver's Delirium very much, and I also wasn't sure how this would make me feel because I was vaguely aware of the content, but not enough detail to know for sure the exact trajectory of the story. I knew that it would cause some very conflicting feelings though, and this was very true.

This book made me cry. It may not have been the most flowery and poetic in terms of writing style, it may not have been the best written book I have ever read, but it has a raw honesty, a cutting edge that made me feel a lot of emotions and resulted in a lot of flashbacks and memories to my own adolescence, and it made me evaluate my own actions and reactions in situations where people were being bullied. I think that the truth of the matter is that people can be so mean, and at times, can feel justified and validated through their words and actions. However, the way that we affect people can not always be seen, and repercussions from initial ideas can result in a lifetime of feelings of inadequacy and learned helplessness.

After reading this book I am even more happy that I never have to go back to high school, and also thankful that I didn't have to go through this experience in the same way like so many did. I know my experience wasn't perfect, but I was so fortunate that I had people around me to help me and support me through even the most difficult times. Although I often felt so alone during my adolescence, I want everyone to know that things can get better, and that you aren't an exception to deserving help.

If you, or anyone you know is struggling, I've included a link below to get help.

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Thank you for reading!

Stay strong,

Becca

0 comments:

Post a Comment