le book review number fifty-five~ underdogs

Sunday 15 July 2012

| | |
title: underdogs
author: markus zusak
series/standalone: there is a trilogy bound together in the one book.
personal star rating: 5/5 stars

from the back cover:
"He stands and grabs me by the front of my jersey, right at my heart. He says, 'I'm Ruben Wolfe,' and he says it hard. He throws the words into my face. 'And you're Cameron Wolfe. That's gotta start meaning somethin' boy. That's gotta start churnin' inside us, making us wanna be someone for those names, and not be just another couple of guys who amounted to nothin' but what people said we would. No way. We're gettin' out of that. We have to. We're gonna crawl and moan and fight and bite and bark at anything that gets in our way or tries to hunt us down and shoot us. All right?'
'Okay.' I nod."


thoughts on the cover:
I like the picture and the title on this cover. The red on the blue sky gives the whole book a wonderful appeal. I don't know if the font used at the bottom to list the books and the colour of them really works, but I quite enjoy this cover. However, I don't know if it would draw me in if Markus Zusak hadn't been the author.


first line:
"We were watching the telly when we decided to rob the dentist."


review:
This book was an amazing novel about brothers and what family means. I definitely decided to buy this book because of the author but at the same time I postponed reading it for over a year. However, I'm glad I did. Included in Underdogs is The Underdog, Fighting Ruben Wolfe, and Getting the Girl. I'll do a separate section for each novel.

The Underdog: What can I say about the Underdog? I can say a lot, but I don't want to spoil anything. I'd like to begin with Cameron Wolfe. Cameron cares. He cares a whole awful lot about everybody, but most of all he cares about his family. We see how he and his brother Ruben (Rube) look out for each other and how they are as close as brothers and act just likes brothers should. Sure, they don't always agree, but they both know they'll look out for each other no matter what.

Fighting Ruben Wolfe: This was a truly remarkable story about family and what it means to look out for each other. There were more struggles in this part, but as brothers, and as friends, and as a family, they all stuck together to make it. We see the personal growth in Rube through Cameron's eyes and we are able to root for the Underdog the entire time.

Getting the Girl: Sometimes Cameron just wants to win. He just wanted the girl. He wanted to treat her right, he wanted to do good by her, and he was given a chance. However, he and Rube grew apart. They suddenly weren't looking out for each other anymore. And Rube is in trouble with his new girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. Cam has to step up for once in his life to do what nobody else would do for Rube.

Overall, these three novels are wonderful. It shows what it means to be a brother and everything about these is honest and raw and Miffy that bloody awful dog. I love that dog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment