le book review number fifty-three~ cat's cradle

Thursday 12 July 2012

| | |
title: cat's cradle
author: kurt vonnegut
series/ standalone: standalone
personal star rating: 4.4/5 stars

from the back cover:
Cat's Cradle is Kurt Vonnegut's satirical commentary on modern man and his madness. An apocalypitic tale of this planet's ultimate fate, it features a midget as the protagonist, a complete, original theology created by a calypso singer, and a vision of the future that is at once blackly fatalistic and hilariously funny. A book that left an indelible mark on an entire generation of readers, Cat's Cradle is one of the twentieth century's most important works - and Vonnegut at his very best.


first sentence:
"Call me Jonah."


review:
This book has been on my shelf for at least a year, but I just didn't pick it up. I've read a couple other Vonnegut books so I had an idea what his writing style was like and I quite enjoyed his other books. However, I had no idea what I was in for with this particular book. I must say it wasn't as memorable as I had hoped for but I wasn't disappointed. I found that I couldn't help myself at times and I'd let out a quiet laugh or a chuckle here and there. It took unexpected turns and in the end, it really didn't have anything to do with the beginning but it all seemed to make sense as I progressed through it. The characters are very different from a lot of books you see today and I quite enjoy that about factor. The way he describes things is amazing. Vonnegut's ability to create such thought-provoking, mind blowing, and incredible stories are timeless pieces. I recommend this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment