le book review number fifty-six~ the year of secret assignments*

Friday 20 July 2012

| | |
title: the year of secret assignments*
author: jaclyn moriarty
series/ standalone: it's a companion book but i haven't read the first book and it doesn't make a difference.
personal star rating: 4/5 stars

from the back cover:
"* Diary Entries, Rude Graffiti, Hate Mail, Love Letters, Revenge Plots, Date Plans, Notes Between Friends, and Famous Last Words." 


from the inside cover:
"The companion to the bestselling Feeling Sorry for Celia


Lydia, Emily, and Cassie have always shared everything - guy problems, skipping school, even Significant Secret Assignments. But when they're given pen pals at rival Brookfield High, they write forth in individual style:
Lydia: "Dear Person at Brookfield: I am a fish. You wouldn't think so to look at me, what with my uniform and the hair on top of my head and all that. But it's true. I am a fish."
Emily: "My interests: Don't get me started about chocolate! My nickname might be 'Em,' but it's also 'Toblerone'! I think this is an angiogram of Thompson, which is my last name."
Cassie: "I always think it's funny when a teacher tries to be cool. I want to sit them down and say 'It's okay, you're a grown-up, you're allowed to be a nerd,' and they will look up at me confused but also relieved and teary-eyed."
It turns out their pen pals are just as distinctive. Sebastian is a sensitive artist with a major soccer obsession. Charlie is a part time car thief and a completely sweet guy. But Matthew... well, he's either a psychopath or a figment of Cassie's imagination, neither of which is a good thing. And what starts out as a simple letter exchange leads to spy missions, false alarms, lock picking, legal drama, parental edicts, mistaken identities, and all-out war between the schools - not to mention Dates with Girls and some really excellent kissing.
Told entirely through its characters' notes, letters, diaries, and e-mails, The Year of Secret Assignments* is the laugh-out-loud story of three girls figuring out who they are - and one friendship that lasts no matter what."


my thoughts on the front cover:
I like the fonts that were used. The picture, although relevant, doesn't play the largest role overall for the book. It wasn't the reason I decided to buy the book. I picked the book up based on the title and the description and didn't pay much attention to the cover because it was simple and the smiley face seemed odd looking.

review:
I finished reading this book on monday and I still don't really know how I felt about it. I think that it was obvious in some places and it was predictable in others. Although the concept isn't the most original, it was portrayed well. I found the characters to be relatively distinct to begin with but as it progressed, they became very similar in many aspects. I found the way the letters were split was different but at times the way the information was explained, it didn't seem completely natural. There were some parts that were very humorous, there were some parts that made you feel a bit down, but overall, it was a pretty good read. I might read it again. Compared to some books that are similar to this style, this book was unique and interesting so if you are looking for that, this is it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment