le book review number fifty-seven~ how i live now

Sunday 22 July 2012

| | |
title: how i live now
author: meg rosoff
series/standalone: standalone
personal star rating: 2.5/5 stars

from the inside cover:
"It would be much easier to tell this story if it were all about a chaste and perfect love between Two Children Against the World at an Extreme Time in History. . . .


This is a story about love.
It's also a story about hate, which is why I left New York in the first place. You don't fly halfway across the world to live with a bunch of people you never met, just for a laugh.
I guess if I'd known where it was all going to lead, I might have thought twice about stepping onto that place. I might have worried a little more about Edmond being my cousin.
And me being fifteen.
But I didn't. And in the end, those things didn't matter as much as you think they would.
In the end, the world had bigger things to worry about than us."

thoughts on the cover:
I found the cover to be interesting and it was the reason I picked it up. The reason I bought the book was the description. I hadn't heard of it before and it seemed like it would be different from what I'd read.

review:
Overall, I gave this book 2.5 out of 5 stars. I could probably squeeze .5 of a star if I looked hard enough, but even that's a stretch. I am sort of indifferent towards the whole thing but I don't plan on reading it again. The beginning was rather slow and once the action started happening, it didn't really pick up. I found the description of the setting to be really confusing. I assume it was designed to feel like Daisy had stepped into another world, but the references to modern technology gave it a futuristic feel in a past event. I found that to be a good idea, but at the same time I just didn't understand where she was going with it. The characters were unique and original but they weren't the most understandable. Daisy (who the story is told through) wasn't very easy to relate to. The book overall was not that good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment