le book review number forty-one~ the wide window

Friday 4 May 2012

| | |
title: the wide window
series: a series of unfortunate events (book 3)
author: lemony snicket
pages: 214 pages
personal star rating: 5/5 stars

from the back cover:
Dear Reader,
If  you have not read anything about the Baudelaire orphans, then before you read even one more sentence, you should know this: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are kindhearted and quick-witted, but their lives, I am sorry to say, are filled with bad luck and misery. All of the stories about these three children are unhappy and wretched, and the one you are holding may be the worst of them all.
If you haven't got the stomach for a story that includes a hurricane, a signaling device, hungry leeches, cold cucumber soup, a horrible villain, and a doll named Pretty Penny, then this book will probably fill you with despair.
I will continue to record these tragic tales, for that is what I do. You, however, should decide for yourself whether you can possibly endure this miserable story.


With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket

first sentence:
"If you didn't know much about the Baudelaire orphans, and you saw them sitting on their suitcases at Damocles Dock, you might think that they were bound for an exciting adventure."

review:
 This book had a lot of intrigue. After reading the first two books about the orphans, I notice the theme is misery and misfortune. And true to it's word, it is full of misery and misfortune. Although intended for younger readers, as a teenager I still can get a lot out of it. I am a bit surprised that kids younger than I would be able to read these stories because at times, even I felt the terrible experiences that the Baudelaire's had been subject to. I think this book was more thoroughly enjoyed and I appreciate the read. This series is very unique and I like it a lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment