le book review number one hundred~ The Handmaid's Tale

Monday 9 May 2016

| | |
25330613Title: The Handmaid's Tale
Author: Margaret Atwood
Standalone
Paperback
Pages: 358
Year First Published: 1985
Publisher: Emblem
Personal Star Rating: 4/5 stars

Description:
"My name isn't Offred, I have another name, which nobody uses now because it's forbidden."

Cover Comments:
I really like the scrabble tiles used on the cover. It conveys how important language and words are in the novel. As well, I like the colour scheme and minimalist appeal of the Handmaid outline.

Title Thoughts:
It's a very well-known title and the story follows well from the title. It's descriptive and accurate.

Review:
The Handmaid's Tale is very iconic. I had to read this book for a Science Fiction/Speculative Fiction English course at my University and it affected me greater than I had anticipated. It was very interesting in the construction of the future world, and also had a well-developed, although very oppressed character. Offred had a very unique story to tell in a world that attempts to create conformity and uniformity. I think this book is still very relevant today, if not even more relevant in expressing future changes in terms of gender equality and feminism. There is an important message the this book conveys in terms of how women have been historically subjected to extreme misogyny and that this pervasive mindset still infiltrates contemporary society. I enjoyed reading this and would recommend it for both an academic setting and for reading it for enjoyment as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment