le book review number ninety-nine~ White Girl Problems

Friday 6 May 2016

| | |
Title: White Girl Problems
Author: Babe Walker
Standalone
Paperback
Pages: 273
Year First Published: 2012
Publisher: Hyperion
Personal Star Rating: 3 stars

Description:
Babe Walker, center of the universe, is a painstakingly manicured white girl with an expensive smoothie habit, a proclivity for Louboutins, a mysterious mother she's never met, and approximately 50 bajillion Twitter followers. But her "problems" have landed her in shopping rehab - that's what happens when you spend $246,893.50 in one afternoon at Barneys. Now she's decided to write her memoir, revealing the gut-wrenching hurdles she's had to overcome in order to be perfect in every way, every day. Hurdles such as:

  • I hate my horse.
  • Every job I've ever had is the worst job I've ever had.
  • He's not a doctor, a lawyer, or a prince.
  • I'll eat anything, as long as it's gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie, sugar-free, and organic.
In an Adderall-induced flash of inspiration, Babe Walker has managed to create one of the most enjoyable, unforgettable memoirs in years.


Cover Comments:
I think the simplicity of the cover is very effective. I like the colours and the centered style. It definitely is catching and interesting.

Title Thoughts:
A very effective title. I think the humour is was the reason why my friend sent this book to me for a summer read.

Review:
I read the book last summer (2015), but since coming back home from being away at University and digging up books to read this summer, I found it sitting in a pile. It inspired me to get back to writing book reviews, since it has been something that I have missed. I haven't read many books for "fun" since University takes a lot of my time.
Anyway, this book was hilarious. I found myself laughing and shaking my head at how absurd the story is. It wasn't challenging in terms of vocabulary and it was perfect for sitting in a lounge chair in the shade on a hot summer day, which is exactly how I spent my time reading this book.
Although it seemingly is self-aware of how crazy the antics of one very well-off girl can get up to, but perhaps some of the stories and events hit a little too close to home. I know I felt myself considering my own lifestyle choices while reading, but it was definitely filled with laughs as well.
I may read it again, but probably not this summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment