le book review number one hundred two~ The Internet is a Playground

Sunday 15 May 2016

| | |
9759351Title: The Internet is a Playground: Irreverent Correspondences of an Evil Online Genius
Author: David Thorne
Standalone
Paperback
Pages: 353
Year First Published: 2010
Publisher: TarcherPerigee
Personal Star Rating: 4/5

Description:
From the notorious Internet troublemaker who brought the world the explosively popular "Overdue Account," in which he attempted to pay his chiropractor with a picture he drew of a spider; "Please Design a Logo for Me. With Pie Charts. For Free," which has been described as one of the most passed-on viral e-mails of all time; and the staggeringly popular "Missing Missy," which has appeared everywhere, from The Guardian to Jezebel to Andrew Sullivan's The Daily Dish, comes this profoundly funny collection of irreverent Internet mischief and comedy.
Featuring every one of Thorne's viral successes from 27bslash6, The Internet Is a Playground will keep you laughing - and, indeed, crying - until Thorne's next stroke-of-genius prank. Or hilarious hoax. Or almost-stint in jail.

Cover Comments:
The cover is effective. It contributed to me wanting to read the book, although I may not have picked it up at the bookstore based on the cover alone.

Title Thoughts:
The title is very fitting for the book. It definitely expresses how comical the book is, in the best ways possible.

Review:
This book was recommended to me by my boyfriend who described it as "weird humour that I find hilarious". I was hesitant when he first described the book to me, but found myself laughing about many of the email replies that were compiled. "Missing Missy" is the main reason this got a full 4 stars because that alone was worth reading the whole book. As well, the Spider drawing, which the cover alludes to, was also one of the funnier ones. There were some aspects that were not as interesting or funny, but that could have been that I didn't understand the humour or that I didn't interpret it as being funny. However, it made me laugh, gave me something to talk about with my boyfriend, and also allowed me to share some of my favourites with other friends. I would recommend this for anyone looking for something to pass the time, and since they are split into sections, it's perfect to pick up and put back down if you have a busy schedule and only have time for a few stories in between other commitments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment