le book review number forty~ wild orchid

Sunday 29 April 2012

| | |
title: wild orchid
author: beverley brenna
series: standalone
pages: 156
personal star rating: 4.5/5 stars

from the back cover:
Taylor Jane Simon is 18 years old and spending the summer with her mother in Prince Albert National Park. The holiday has been planned so Taylor's mother can spend time with her latest boyfriend, Danny, and work in the pizza restaurant that he runs. Taylor would just as soon stay at home, but because she suffers from an autistic condition, she can't stay on her own. Taylor's mother encourages her to explore the park's possibilities on her own. For Taylor, whose life experience has been  limited by her condition, this means facing the test of meeting new people and making new friends, a test she has never faced alone. Summer also holds the possibility of finding her own boyfriend, thought Taylor isn't quite sure how that might happen. The one thing that is certain is that by the end of the summer, Taylor will have to find the courage to be her own person and make her own path in life.

first sentence:
"I can hear her banging around in the kitchen."

cover:
I found the cover to be a big draw towards the book. I've had it on my list and then saw it reviewed by Sidny at Books, My Quiet Friends and the cover looked so intriguing and beautiful. I love the flowers and the close up of the girl. The font was very fitting and it's placement was perfect. The purple scheme with the sky blue behind is impacting and relates well to the title. The orchids by the girl's head adds an almost frame that enhances everything. Overall, the cover definitely made me want to read it a lot more.

review:
What can I say about this book? I thought it was well worth the time. Although it was a quick read, it was a really good read. I found the main character, Taylor, easy to relate to. I think her personality and her compulsions are things that I could understand. Her description was amazing. I loved the scenery of the novel and the journey that she takes. I didn't learn a lot about the other characters because she didn't know a lot about the other characters - aside from her mother that is. The Canadian setting was a very lovely setting because I haven't read a lot of Canadian books. I would have liked to learn more about everything. I loved what I did learn but there was a lot about her life that she never explained. I think that it wasn't necessary but that it would have given more insight to her life. I can see the reason behind this, for it is a growing up story and based on Taylor's personality she wouldn't go into detail about things that didn't happen during the trip because that was her original purpose behind writing her journal. I found this book to be something I thoroughly took something from. I can't say with certainty if I would read it again but I would recommend it to everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment