le book review number twenty-four~ a man without a country

Sunday 1 April 2012

| | |
title: a man without a country
author: kurt vonnegut
personal star rating: 3/5 stars

From the back cover:
In a volume that is penetrating, introspective, incisive, and laugh-out-loud funny, one of the great men of letters of this era - or any era - holds forth on life, art, sex, politics, and the state of America's soul. Whether he is describing his coming of age in America, his formative war experiences, or his life as an artist, this is Vonnegut doing what he does best: being himself. Whimsically illustrated by the author, A Man Without a Country is intimate, tender, and brimming with the scope of Kurt Vonnegut's passions.


first sentence:
"As a kid I was the youngest member of my family, and the youngest child in any family is always a jokemaker, because a joke is the only way he can enter into an adult conversation."

In Vonnegut's biographic novel he touches on numerous topics and expresses an opinion. I found it to be interesting and insightful but lacked an aspect of a real in-depth look into things. It was a simple read that didn't take more than an hour and a half to read but I did find it to be interesting. I bought it months ago and finally just decided to get down to it and read it. I thought it had a few humorous parts that had me laughing out loud. Maybe they weren't meant to be funny but I laughed nevertheless. I thought it was alright. Fans of Vonnegut can gain an insight into what he thinks.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I really enjoy reading Kurt Vonnegut's novels. I have not yet read this one. However, I read Slaughter House 5 and it was a fantastic read. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading it but I would highly recommend it as a book that should be read by all. I noticed that you didn't do a review of Slaughter House 5. I was wondering if you had read it yet. The novel that you reviewed sounds like a very interesting read and I can't wait until I finish reading Insurgent By Veronica Roth so I can read it. The Divergent series is another thing I would recommend reading.

Becca said...

I did read slaughter house 5! I think it's under the honorable mentions tab if I recall correctly. It actually was my first Kurt Vonnegut novel. I haven't written a review for it, and I should dig that book from my shelf and read it again this summer and maybe get around to saying something about it. I plan on reading Divergent relatively soon as well so I hope it's as good as I hear.

Post a Comment