le book review number thirty-one~ if i ran the zoo

Sunday 15 April 2012

| | |
title: if i ran the zoo
author: Dr. Seuss
personal star rating: 3.5/5 stars

I really wanted to give it a full 4 stars. There was one particular racial stereotype that made it lose that half a star. I understand that it was published in 1950, and since then we have become more sensitive towards this any type of racial difference. I think it was still a wonderful read but gave me pause to think about how far we've come with books nowadays that are directed at children and how they are all about including each type of person. I find that the equality is a wonderful thing. But I also love Dr. Seuss and that's why I still gave it 3.5 stars.

It's wonderfully imaginative and the creatures that Gerald McGrew creates are intriguing and unique. I definitely have much respect for the pictures, it gives such detail to the animals that Gerald wants for his zoo. I think the NERD was my favourite part. It made me smile and laugh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment